Thursday 12 April 2012

A Review of ALES 204

I have to admit, at the beginning of the term I was skeptical of this course.  It has been unlike any other university course I have taken and so I was unsure of what I was going to take away from it.  However, now I do know what I have gained from this class.  Options.  Before ALES 204 I was unaware that there were so many resources and tools out there to help improve communication.  I had never before heard of LinkedIn, Audioboo, or even thought about using Twitter.




In thought it was also very modern and innovative that we used these tools to gain participation marks for the course.  This allowed us to really try it for ourselves, see which options work best for us and which ones will benefit us most in our future career paths.  If I had to make a point of constructive criticism it would be that it might be more respectful and beneficial to make our Tweets for participation following the lectures instead of during.  This way we can really give the speaker the attention they deserve and get more out of the lecture. 

Another area of the course I enjoyed was the labs.  The time during the labs were used very effectively and all students can appreciate that.  Some of these new websites and social media tools can be hard to navigate; having the lab T.A.'s there to help was very beneficial and made it less stressful.

I also just want to point out a few skills that were taught that I found to be quite helpful.  The first one being professional emails.  This does not seem like crucial information at first but it is an important skill that will have to be used mostly for my entire life.  Even just learning a couple more things about what comes across as professional was beneficial.  Another skill I found helpful was the citing of APA style.  Yes, most of us have already had to do this for papers throughout university, however, citations can easily be written falsely.  The practice references we were given showed me a lot and actually ended up helping me on a research paper this term.  Without ALES 204 I would not have known how to cite articles with a DOI.  Finally, the other skill taught throughout this course was how to use Twitter to get involved in conversations of interest.  By learning how to use the hash-tag symbol I can now stay up to date on topics of my choice and even make my own opinions public.



The 5 blogs I wrote on this semester were:

Emily
Rosie
Laura
Dani
Jasveer (Jessie)


I hope everyone has a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment