Monday 12 March 2012

Social Media: It's Not All Fun and Games

Throughout this term we have seen many advantages of social media, including Twitter and Facebook. Engaging in conversations around the world, spreading awareness for products and ideas, and of course meeting new people we could have never before contacted all would not have been so possible without the use of social media. However, easy access to such a massive program does have its negatives and I believe it is important for people to be aware that it is not all 'fun and games'.
 
First and most importantly, privacy. The internet is a very large place and we must realize that when we put any information on the web it can be accessed by millions of people. When making a 'tweet' or a post on Facebook we are giving everyone including strangers around the globe a look into our personal lives. When creating accounts on any social media website it is very important to check and adjust your privacy settings  to what you feel is comfortable. Although the internet will never be fully secure you can have some control over what is released to others. The only way to one hundred percent prevent something personal becoming public knowledge is by not sharing it. When using the internet, please proceed with caution.

The other point I wanted to bring up is about when engaging in social media is appropriate. Making a 'tweet' while in a professional setting is not the best time. Also, when listening in on a presentation it is not appropriate to either be looking at your smart phone or laptop to see what is new on Twitter or Facebook. People spend a lot of time and effort preparing for a class presentation and we should give them the attention and respect they deserve.



Social media does have many positive features going for it that cannot be compared. While engaging in this wonderful innovation however, we must do so carefully. By being cautious of our own privacy and using its benefits to our advantage we can be sure to get the best experience possible.

If you have not already, check out Facebook and Twitter and get started in the conversation!

To check out another great ALES204 blog take a look at Laura McSporran's page
 

5 comments:

  1. I agree that the growth of social media and communication in our world isn't all positive. When I create new accounts on networking sites, I'm always cautious about the privacy settings and the possible negative effects it could have. Although social media can help build great connections with people and professionals, it can also have negative effects people need to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post! You are 100% right that there are negative aspects associated with social media. Nothing is really private on the internet so it is important to watch what you say and do. One thing relating to this topic I find concerning is that if I google my name I can find all the tweets I've ever sent. This means anyone can see what I've written so I must be careful what I tweet, you never know when something will be taken out of context. No one wants a tweet they sent when they were 20 to come back and bite them in the butt when they're 40!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I really like how you also explored the drawback of social media. Within this course, we haven't really discussed the negative aspect, but instead we have just been focusing on how great Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn is. I think it's important to remember your point on privacy, in which nothing is really private on the internet.I also like your point on when it is appropriate to use social media. I've noticed many people during my lectures on facebook and twitter. Sometimes it's not appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is really important to be aware of the negative aspects of posting personal information on the internet. I grew up with my parents strongly cautioning me to never post personal information on the internet. Therefore, I have had a very difficult time feeling okay with posting personal information on some of the websites focused on in this class because I know very little about them. When joining any website, I think the first thing anyone should do is adjust the privacy settings to a comfortable level before posting anything personal. Although this doesn't completely protect you, it is better than leaving everything public and then regretting it 10 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very glad you made this blog post as the draw backs of using social media and posting personal information on the internet were never really discussed in class! I feel that post really reflects the aspect of critical thinking that were told to us when we were engaging a topic. In class we were only given one side, the positive side, of the realm of social media and even though I too am in the same Ales204 class I never really took time to reflect and think about the draw backs of posting things such a personal Facebook pages with a lot of my information and having them publicly available for people to consult. Thanks for making me take a step back and really think about both sides of the story.

    ReplyDelete